Cities and Counties » Foothills » Muskogee
First-time visitors quickly discover what makes Muskogee special and returning visitors are reminded why they keep coming back.
Among the many attractions in Oklahoma Honor Heights Park in Muskogee, is one of the oldest and most celebrated public parks in the Southwest. During the annual Azalea Festival, the park blazes with millions of azalea blossoms complemented by tulips, roses, and other flowers. A parade, chili cook-off, and arts and crafts show add to the fun for the thousands of visitors from across the country. Each August brings the River Rumba Regatta, a quirky flotilla of unlikely "boats" sailing in Three Forks Harbor.
During the Christmas season, Honor Heights Park is transformed into a winter wonderland for the Garden of Lights Festival. The celebration includes a drive-through display of more than one million shimmering lights strung throughout the park. Displays include a giant entrance tunnel of lights and animated creatures depicting the wildlife seen in the park.
Muskogee is one of the most famous towns in America, in fact – CMT Named Muskogee the No. 1 road trip song town for the famed “Okie From Muskogee” by Merle Haggard.
A trip to Muskogee can include something for everyone and truly is “a place where even squares can have a ball”!
Attractions in Muskogee include:
- Five Civilized Tribes Museum
- Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame
- The Castle of Muskogee
- Three Rivers Museum
- U.S.S. Batfish/Muskogee War Memorial Park
- *Thomas Foreman Home* http://www.3riversmuseum.com/
- Oklahoma Movie Hall of Fame (couldn’t find a good link for this one)
- Gruber Orv Park
- Hatbox Event Center
- Honor Heights Park
- Love-Hatbox Sports Complex
- Muskogee Little Theatre
- Muskogee Rhythm Guitars
- The Papilion At Honor Heights Park
- River Country Family Water Park
- The Roxy Theater
- Three Forks Harbor
- Thunderbird Speedway
- Outlaw Motor Speedway
- Oklahoma Movie Hall of Fame
From "Flying Fez" to "Bloomin' Azaleas" Muskogee events make this a Real Okie happenin' place to be.
- Annual Muskogee Regional Junior Livestock Show- March
- Flying Fez Wine Tasting Festival- March
- Okie Half Marathon- March
- Bedouin Glo’N’Go 5K Run- March
- Azalea Festival - April
- Bare Bones International Film & Music Festival - April
- Chili and BBQ Cook-off – April
- Eastern Oklahoma Spelling Bee- April
- Muskogee Run (15K, 5K, Fun Run)- April
- Azalea Festival Parade- April
- Cruizaders Car Club Annual Car, Truck, & Cycle Show- April
- Bare Bones International Independent Film Festival- April
- Grease- April
- Flower Power Bike Ride- April
- Touch-A-Truck- April
- Party in the Park Wine & Food Tasting Festival- April
- Oklahoma Renaissance Festival – May
- Azalea Festival Banner Auction- May
- Mother’s Day at Three Rivers Museum- May
- Opening Day at Papilion- May
- APT Pro Golf Tour Real Okie Championship- May
- Opening Day at River Country Water Park- May
- Real Okie Craft Beer Festival- May
- Symphony in the Park- June
- Shrine Poker Run- June
- Fireworks on Sale at the Castle- June
- Bassmaster Opens - June
- Night in the Tropics- June
- Camp Roxy- July
- Bass Reeves Western History Conference- July
- River Rumba and Regatta - Aug.
- Annual Oklahoma Festival of Ballooning & State Hot Air Balloon Championships- Aug.
- Dusk til’ Dawn Blues Festival- Sept.
- The Castle Zombie Run- Sept.
- Castle of Muskogee Halloween Festival - Oct.
- Muskogee Haunted History Tour- Oct.
- Okie Jeep Jam- Oct.
- Boare's Head Feast - Nov.
- Muskogee Veterans Parade- Nov.
- ·Garden of Lights- Thanksgiving - Dec 31
- Castle Christmas – Thanksgiving – Dec 31
WHERE TO STAY IN MUSKOGEE
Numerous accommodations are available in Muskogee:
- American Inn Motel
- Best Western Plus
- Budget Host Inn
- Budget Inn
- Comfort Inn
- Economy Inn of Muskogee
- Fairbridge Inn
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott
- Hampton Inn
- Home2 Suites by Hilton
- Holiday Inn Express
- Knights Inn
- La Quinta Inn & Suites
- Motel 6
- Muskogee Inn & Suites
- Quality Inn & Suites
- Studio 6 Extended Stay
- Super 8 Motel
- Travel Inn
WHERE TO EAT IN MUSKOGEE
Places to eat in Muskogee include:
- American Pie
- Amish Restaurant & Country Store
- Anna’s Coffee Cup
- Back in Time Diner
- Beacon Drive-In
- Billy Sims BBQ
- Charlie's Chicken
- Chet’s Dairy Freeze
- Club Lunch
- Cowboy’s Bar-B-Q & Grill
- The Daily Grind Coffee Shop
- Green Country Lanes Café
- Gino’s Italian Ristorante
- Hamlin’s El Toro
- Harmony House Tea Room
- Holy Smoke BBQ
- Hornback’s Catfish Ranch
- The Hornets Nest
- Mahylon’s BBQ
- Mattie Jane’s on Main
- My Place BBQ East
- My Place BBQ West
- Momma C’s Soul Food Kitchen
- Pisano’s Pizza
- Rib Crib
- Runt’s Bar-B-Q & Grill
- Shawnee Restaurant
- Speedway Grill
- Station 1 & Muskogee Brewing Co.
Muskogee is located close to several beautiful lakes and state parks. Just a short drive from Muskogee, Greenleaf State Park is one of the most popular locations for family activities. Visitors can enjoy:
- Water skiing and many other fun activities.
In addition to lake-related activities, visitors will enjoy:
- Three public golf courses
- Ten public tennis courts
With such an assortment of exciting things to enjoy, it doesn't take long for visitors to realize why so many people boast they're “proud to be an Okie from Muskogee.”
« back to regions